OK – here’s deal, if you’re a business owner you already know this…
Starting a business is easy, surviving long term and running a successful business is hard! Don’t get me wrong, it takes a ton of courage to start something in the first place, with very little help and no safety net, just the thought alone would make most people think twice about being an entrepreneur. So if you start in the first place, well done.
Now if you’re either crazy, ambitious or both, working for yourself might seem like the right fit BUT it’s still not easy. “How do you do it?”, I get asked this a lot, so here’s the harsh truth. It don’t matter what you know (or think you know), it doesn’t matter if you have a great idea, what you need more than anything else is resilience. Here’s what that means: You need to have the ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortune or change. In other words, you need to be able to grind it out, take the hits, everyday and keep moving forward.
Again, it’s not easy, so here’s some advice:
- Don’t get your feelings hurt. Growing pains are to be expected, if you take everything personally, things will not go well. You should care but don’t take everything to heart, some people like to complain or just don’t get it and that’s fine. If you aren’t an asshole, it’s them, not you.
- Ask for help. You will need a support system, a person or people that you can rely on for thoughts and opinions or just to vent during hard times.
- Have a plan and follow it. Before you started this business, you had a plan (I hope), now you need to believe in the plan and work hard everyday to make it happen. Don’t second guess yourself.
- Trust your team. It will be hard to let go but you aren’t good at everything. You need to hire good people, put them in the right roles and trust them to do their jobs well. This is the fastest way to sanity and it will allow you to focus on what you’re best at.
- Do some good. If you started a business to get rich, you’re in for a rude awakening. It’s takes a long time and a lot of work to get ahead. So while you’re slowly building an empire, help as many people as you can along the way. It feels good and it’s good for business!
Honestly, I’ve read too many articles that sugar coat this and act like “if you dream it you can achieve it”. Dreaming is great but it’s not going to accomplish anything without actually DOING. So if you think you’re ready, then get to work, start slow and small, just make sure you get shit done everyday. Then, over time, you can achieve your dreams. Only hard work will get you there.
Have a question, need some advice? You know how to find me.
Until next time.